What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is defined as an incident or series of incidents of controlling, coercive, or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse.


No one deserves to be a victim of domestic abuse or feel unsafe in their home. However, unfortunately, it is not uncommon.

According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) year ending March 2020, an estimated 5.5% of adults aged 16 to 74 years old (around 2.3 million people) experienced domestic abuse in the last year.


In the year ending March 2020, the police also recorded a total of 1,288,018 domestic abuse-related incidents and crimes in England and Wales. Of these, 41% (529,077 cases) were incidents not subsequently recorded as a crime. The remaining 59% (758,941 cases) were recorded as domestic abuse-related crimes. Find out more about these figures here.


Find out about the different types of domestic abuse, the support services available to victims and tips on keeping safe online, below:


The different types of abuse

What can Saxon Weald do?

Our commitment

Support services

Staying safe online

Get in touch


You don't have to suffer in silence.
We're here to help so please reach out to us.