Making changes to your home

Making changes to your home

We understand that as a homeowner, you may want to make certain alterations and improvements to your home.


It's fine to make simple improvements such as painting, carpeting and shelving, but if you want to make larger changes you need our written permission, as specified in the terms of your lease.


This is not a complete list but includes examples of alterations/home improvements that require our permission:


· replacing your windows

· electrical and gas work

· building an extension or conservatory

· changing the internal layout of your home

· replacing your kitchen or bathroom

· satellite dishes and aerials


If you are a tenant looking to alter your home, please see our permissions page.


Please remember, as well as our consent, you may also need to get planning permission and/or building notice from your local authority.


Request permission to make changes


To request permission to make changes to your home, please complete our

Leaseholder alterations application form*.


If you’d like permission to install an electric vehicle charging point please complete this form.


*To process your application there is a £96 administration fee and an invoice will be issued upon receipt of your application.We will not proceed until payment has been received.


Please return the completed form to the e-mail or mail address below:




Saxon Weald

Home Ownership Team

38-42 Worthing Road


West Sussex

RH12 1DT


For your own safety, the following work must be done in line with current regulations and must be carried out by a member of a competent person's scheme as follows:


Gas work - This work must be completed by a tradesperson who is registered on the Gas Safe Register.


Electrical wiring - The work must be completed by a tradesperson who is NICEIC approved and/or registered with NAPIT.


Plumbing - The work must be completed by a tradesperson who is qualified to CIPHEPD standards.


Windows & Doors - You must use either a FENSA or CERTASS registered installer.


Your registered installer should issue a certificate of competence when the work is finished. Keep this, as you will need to produce it when selling your home. We strongly advise you to get your gas appliances serviced each year.



Important Information


If you carry out works that require the landlord's consent without obtaining our written consent, you will breach your lease agreement and we may take action against you. This will cause you problems when you try to sell your home.


For any further questions on making any changes or improvements to your home, enquiries on applying for consent or retrospective consent, please contact our
Home Ownership team.


A useful source of information for homeowners is the Planning Portal