Selling an extra care apartment

Selling an extra care apartment


Step one – Notify Sales

If you are a resident of Weald Living and you wish to sell your extra care apartment, our sales team must be notified. You can do this by emailing [email protected].


Once notified a Counter Notice letter will be sent to you. The Counter Notice letter will outline your responsibilities as a seller and what needs to be done in order to get the apartment listed for sale. 


The letter also sets out the costs you will incur, such as the fees payable for the nomination of a buyer. The sales team keep a database of those who have expressed interest in Extra Care developments and may have a waiting list of potential applicants. 


Step two – Supply required information to enable the property to be listed for resale

Once you have read the Counter Notice letter you will need to:

  • Complete and return the forms to the sales team
  • Obtain a RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) valuation, to enable a value to be assigned to the property
  • Take photos of the apartment in landscape format, these will be used for the property listing on the Weald Living website
  • Obtain a valid EPC if the current one is out of date


Step three – Property is listed on the Weald Living website

Once the sales team have the required information, your property will be uploaded to the Weald Living website. If we are unable to identify a buyer within eight weeks, you can instruct an estate agent of your choice to also market the property. 


Step four – Buyer application processed

If an applicant wishes to progress their interest in your property, they will be asked to provide financial documents. On satisfactory completion of a financial assessment, they will then be invited to have a scheme assessment with the scheme manager. Provided the scheme manager is happy to progress the application, a formal offer will be made. 


Step five – Formal offer

Once the potential buyer has been formally offered the property, they will need to complete and return the formal offer forms and pay a reservation fee. When we are in receipt of these, we will instruct our solicitor and send out the memorandum of sale.